• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

New middle aged pilot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bspellerin

Established Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, well it took 27 years between my first solo and my private pilots ticket, but I finally got it done.

For a little background, my dad got his private pilot license in 1973 when I was 7, his first plane was a 1964 Cherokee 180, N7693W. I used to go up with him all the time, I was a good copilot until the noise and vibration put me to sleep, waking up on touch down usually. That plane made 2 trips from Maine to Oshkosh, I was able to go on the second trip in 1980. I found a recent picture of her taken this year, still a great plane.

In 1985, my dad upgraded to a 1977 Archer II, N1461H, this is the plane that I soloed in 1989 during the summer of my senior year in college. Coincidently, this was for sale this past summer when I was in the market, unfortunately it was a bit pricey for my first entry. I would have been great to be able to have her come full circle though.

I work overseas in Nigeria and on my first trip here last March, I rode on a bus from the hotel to the airport with some guys that work for my company in our Aviation Dept. I started talking to the only guy that didn't have his pilots license and mentioned that I'd love to pick it back up again. As we both live in the DFW area he mentioned that there was an accelerated program at Addison (KADS) so I said that I'd check it out.

When I returned home I drove up to KADS and signed up. Had a bit of trouble with the 3rd class medical as I had melanoma surgery in January and it took the FAA 3 months to finally bless me, so off I went to finish my lessons.

Between my 28/28 rotation schedule, I flew and looked for a suitable starter plane, located one close by, purchased it, took my written and then back to Nigeria. Returned home on 26 October, the plane, just out of a fresh annual was deliver to my buddy's house at an awesome fly-in community (Eagles Nest) in Midlothian, 1.5 miles from my house.

My instructor and I took it up a couple of times to get me checked out and a current endorsement in my log, got re-acquainted with the Piper and scheduled my check ride for Saturday, 5 November. Passed that, just in a nick of time too. My Dad, who'll be 85 this month, and my 3 older brothers flew down from Maine (Jet Blue) for a visit 2 days later.

My father sold N1461H in 1998 and hadn't been up in a GA plane since then, so I was proud and happy to introduce him to N8447W, a 1965 PA-28 180C. It's kind of funny that my first plane, 43 years after my dad bought his first plane, is only 1 year newer. Regardless, he was absolutely thrilled. I'm hoping he'll return in February so we can relive old memories, just in different seats.

My wife has been very supportive and has enjoyed the 3 flights we got to take before I headed back to work. Anxious to get back home and up in the air. I have the plane at Mid-Way airport (KJWY) 8 miles from home, in a shared hanger with a Cirrus SR20, a mid 1940's Waco and absolutely gorgeous but neglected 1938 Beech Staggerwing.

Regards

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6a.jpg

7.jpg

8a.jpg

9a.jpg

10a.jpg

Latest posts

Back