• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Low- to mid-time O-360-A4A (or A3A) Wanted!

Airrmann

Reaction score
If anyone has got a low/mid time A4A for sale/trade, please let me know. I would consider a good A3A as well but prefer solid crank. Not interested in high time or really old overhauls, then I will just overhaul my current A3A instead. My A3A is at about 1950 hrs SMOH/3240 hrs TT but running strong if anyone is interested in trade or buy. Will not sell it until I'm sure i don't need it as core. My plane is a '65 180C. If you know of a good place to find one, that would be helpful as well. Thanks!

magman

Reaction score
Suggest you may want to have the AD (SB 505) Visual Insp as a condition of sale.

Really not a big deal ; to inspect only.

PropFan

Reaction score
Wentworth Aircraft Parts purchased my Cherokee 180C that was totaled last spring in a hailstorm. No damage to the engine, of course. It was an A3A that ran superbly. About 750 hours as I recall. Used 1 qt. every 10 hours. Great compressions. I noticed the engine was just recently removed from the aircraft at the ramp where the plane is parked. So, it might be available.

That said, get an A4A if you can.

Airrmann

Reaction score
Magman, that's probably a good idea. I just had the crank check on my engine at last annual in September, no signs of any cracks. I've got compressions all in the 70's but the last complete OH was done in 1967, with TOP in 80's. I would like something a little bit "newer" but it still runs strong.
PropFan, I just talked to Wentworth this week, the only A4A they had is a 1983 overhaul with 1033 hrs. Are you local to that area? I think they said it was OH'ed at Griffing Flying Services. Or, they may have owned the plane it was in, can't remember for sure. You know anything about them? Who did the last OH on the engine you had and when was it done? I can ask them to see if they still have it if you think it was still in good shape.
Thanks for the info!

magman

Reaction score
Be aware that this AD came out in 1998.

Most engines o/h'd since then probably received the PID (Painted Inside Diameter) .

That takes away the inspection between o/h's.

It must be in the log AND stamp on Flange OD.

An GOOD "3" could be BETTER than a MEDIOCRE "4".

dr.andre

Reaction score
I have been looking (since mid 2010) for same, as a replacement to my A4A in a 180D. So far no luck. (My 180 is airframe over 11,000 hours, and current engine 2400+ hours still running beautifully)

Latest posts