• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Overhaul Time (unexpected) O-360-A4A

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henni8a5

Reaction score
After pulling my rocker covers on my PA-28-180 to paint I found a bit of corrosion on my valve springs. Did a borescope and the cylinders (compression high 70's) and they also have pitting and signs of corrosion. I can only imagine what my crank and cam look like. Bought the plane in 2016 with 600 hours on the engine (last MOH 1996). The engine has just over 800 hours and runs good but the extensive corrosion was the last draw. Note to self, low hours does not mean good engine and compression checks are not the deciding factors...

Moving on with the process. Would like some recommendations to overhaul the usual components around my general area (Chattanooga/Atlanta region). Based on recommendations from this forum I'm leaning towards Zephyr for the overhaul but need sources for a couple of other items, primarily:

Propeller:
Oil Cooler:
Engine Mount (NDI inspection and painting):
Control Cables (throttle, mixture, carb heat): leaning towards Mcfarlane right now but open to suggestions.
Hose (fluid) replacement (Type D where needed): Quote from Aero and PHT currently with Aero being more reasonable.
Firewall (clean off old paint and leave bare repaint, or heat resistant material): I've read the threads but nothing that has convinced me either way.

Also completing the following:
Nose strut will be overhauled
All new scat as well
Also running shielded P-Lead wires
Already have copper wires to starter/alternator and new field wire
Plane power Alternator (do have questions about the required filter; do I still need both Alt Filter and 70A field-installed filter with new alt)?
LONE STAR FILTER 70 AMP FAA PMA | Aircraft Spruce ALTERNATOR FILTER | Aircraft Spruce

What else should I tackle while the engine is out?

Looking forward to your posts...

Latest posts

Back