• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Looking for Fractional Ownership

Radioman56

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for a possible fractional ownership in an Archer, Dakota, or Cherokee 6 in the Chicago area. Need a useful load in the upper 800 lb range or better and IFR. Open to other ideas as well! Thanks, Paul

EchoDelta

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for a possible fractional ownership in an Archer, Dakota, or Cherokee 6 in the Chicago area. Need a useful load in the upper 800 lb range or better and IFR. Open to other ideas as well! Thanks, Paul
Assuming you are thinking of no more than a handful of partners owning one airplane, I believe that what you are looking for is a co-ownership arrangement. A "fractional ownership" is something a bit different, and is usually associated with high-end, newer aircraft. Also, as a person who has co-owned three different airplanes over the course of 40+ years, I can attest that with a modicum of effort it can be the best compromise for controlling ownership cost while still providing a high degree of access flexibility. (This assumes that you and your co-owners each fly fewer than about 200 hrs/year.) If you fly a typical 75-100 hrs/year, co-ownership can provide MUCH lower per-hour costs than individual ownership with MUCH better availability than hourly rental or flying club arrangements.

Now, about your stated useful load requirement. 800 lbs is on the extreme low end for even a four place airplane. If you assume a cabin load of four "FAA standard" 170 lb adults, that would leave only 120 lbs (20 gallons) for fuel -- not really enough for useful travel in any four-place airplane (with a minimum engine power of 150 hp). Just about any Archer will have a useful load in excess of 900 lbs, and the Dakota or Cherokee 6 useful load will be much higher than that.

Last edited:

Radioman56

Reaction score
Thanks E.D.! Yes, I was thinking of a co-ownership situation. I'm not well heeled enough for that corporate fractional interest in a new TBM or small Jet yet.
It sounds like the 6 or Saratoga might be best. I would be making several trips from Chicago to PA, NY, and MD each year and would need to bring at least a hundred pounds or so of luggage. Thanks for your analysis, it definitely helped!

Unit74

Reaction score
Thanks E.D.! Yes, I was thinking of a co-ownership situation. I'm not well heeled enough for that corporate fractional interest in a new TBM or small Jet yet.
It sounds like the 6 or Saratoga might be best. I would be making several trips from Chicago to PA, NY, and MD each year and would need to bring at least a hundred pounds or so of luggage. Thanks for your analysis, it definitely helped!
220 kilos? :shock::shock:

Who do you think you are? Tony Montana or something? :eek:

Latest posts