• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Leaning in climb, power setting at cruise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yachtjim

Reaction score
I have 2 questions. I have owned my Cherokee 180b for just over a year.

Takeoff and climb - I know the prescribed short field takeoff recommends to lean the engine for best performance prior to rollout. Can this lean setting then be held for the entire climb? I normally take off on a long asphalt strip so I just leave it full rich. However, sometimes I'll lean it out from maybe 3k to 9k just cause the added performance is nice. Of course I always lean out for cruising. So is it bad to lean on the climb? If you lean before a short field takeoff do you leave it lean for the climb or go rich at some point in the climb?

Straight and level - I normally fly between 7500 and 8500 ft. I fly in the northeast and generally have a class bravo somewhere on my route so I just go over them. I fly from Md to Ma a lot. 2.5 hr flight. I normally just leave the plane at full throttle from takeoff all the up to the start of my descent. I am not worried about burning extra fuel, and am always at 75% or less of full power according to the charts. But it feels weird to simply run the engine at full throttle. So if you are not worried about conserving fuel, what is the max power or rpm you will cruise at without worry of hurting the engine? Is full throttle at 7500 perfectly ok for the engine?

Latest posts

Back