• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Landing Height System is now FAA Certified for all Pipers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I watched their video about engine failure on takeoff and didn't hear the warnings during takeoff only after the plane was descending after the simulated engine failure.

This seems similsr to the aural RA callouts in a transport category jet. But those aircraft are full of logic circuitry that inhibits the aural callouts in takeoff config. Is this system also inhibited on takeoff? I didn't see that mentioned anywhere.
Good question. Anybody?
The LHS is designed not to announce on takeoff. Though it announces on a go-around maneuver as an extra aid.

Neat product. You essentially created an inexpensive radar altimeter for small aircraft (without the radar). I can see the concern about pilots using it for DH. It would not be accurate unless the terrain was perfectly flat on your approach. DH is based on MSL, and this product gives you AGL.

This looks really cool and I'm sure I'll consider it at some point when I go back into spending mode on my aircraft. My only concern is that is may encourage laziness with regard to proficiency, but that's a risk with all the latest technological innovations that have made their way to GA in the past decade. With tools like this coupled with ultra accurate GPS couples autopilots, who needs to know how to fly, lol. I'm (mostly) joking of course, this is very cool stuff.

.. I was thinking what an incredible tool this is for assisting in judging height above the runway when in the flare and the runway is snow covered just enough to make it impossible to accurately judge the height (i.e. loss of reference of runway edges or end of runway/horizon from "snow-blindness").

Obviously should not be used to bust MDH when on final (illegal and just plain stupid).

... and the cool factor is, well, ...:cool::cool::cool:

Hello everybody. My name is Marty and I am the owner and pilot in the PA28-161 Landing Height System demonstration video. I am an old guy GA pilot with 38 years of commercial airline flying. I have maintained my CFI, AI, MEI qualifications since the age of 19. I have ATP ratings on the DC9, B757, B767, B77, and B787. I’m in my 37th year with major US carrier and fly Captain on the B787. Including the certification test flying and since certification, I have flown over 100 landings with the LHS installed on the Warrior. My aircraft is set up as not for profit flying club and my flight activity is almost completely student flight training. I am the only instructor in the club. The LHS is a great tool and provides significant situational awareness enhancement during short final landing phase of flight. From a flight training perspective, the LHS callouts assist the student in depth perception and provide secondary sensory input in recognizing the proper flare point for landing. I have flown with the LHS active into several different airports, both day and night - including grass strip with trees close to the approach end of the runway. I found the callouts in all scenarios to be accurate and very useful. On the go around maneuver, assuming no touch down, the system calls out the programmed altitudes through 70 feet AGL - very useful as trigger for aircraft clean up. For the already licensed pilot, regardless of experience, the LHS provides significant situational awareness enhancement during several critical phases of flight (landing, forced landing immediately after takeoff, and go-around) and thus substantially improves safety of flight.

This is a poor man’s Radio Altimeter system, with very favorable cost to safety ratio!

I am the first certified customer for the LHS. I have no financial interest in Microkit Solutions and the LHS.

Cheers,

Marty

Latest posts

Back