• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Landing Height System is now FAA Certified for all Pipers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds interesting it would be nice if started the call outs at 200 above field elevation then 150 then you normalm100 down to touch down...you chose 100 because of the laser calibration? Or is the laser output limited ?

The laser element can detect over 300’. I personally tested it in flight starting 250‘. This is not offered, just a handful of experimental airplane units are loaded with that firmware. FAA would not have accepted above 100’ anyway. It will be easily abused by someone in hard IMC thinking they can go lower than 200’ AGL (found minimums on many precession approaches) just because they did not hear 200‘ callout. This is not intended to be used as an aid for the DH. It’s an aid for the last part of the landing where pilots (even those who started in IFR) already identified the runway and able to see visually and acquired all the legal requirements to continue the landing.

We are confident that if we took the STC route, the technology and software procedure used would pass all the requirements but it would mean substantial increase in cost which will be reflected on the end user price of the unit. As the price shows, the point is to bring similar level of added safety and features found on larger airplane to the GA planes and make it really affordable

Congratulations on certification of what appears to be a very clever and interesting product. I hope to see more of this type of ingenuity under the NORSEE standard. I did note in the one of the videos that the callout repeated in sequence the same value "1......1.......1....". As a suggestion, I think only a change from the previous callout value should be generated aurally with repeated values inhibited. Perhaps a software setup option?

I think only a change from the previous callout value should be generated aurally with repeated values inhibited. Perhaps a software setup option?

A setup option would be fine but I kind of like the alerts to a change (or not) in flight profile and consistent messaging that close to the ground.

Congratulations on certification of what appears to be a very clever and interesting product. I hope to see more of this type of ingenuity under the NORSEE standard. I did note in the one of the videos that the callout repeated in sequence the same value "1......1.......1....". As a suggestion, I think only a change from the previous callout value should be generated aurally with repeated values inhibited. Perhaps a software setup option?

Thank you. This is indeed how it is designed. It does not repeat the same value if you keep it (lets say at 50' straight). However, on the lower numbers (like 1 or 2), just a few inches of deviation reading then coming back to the 1' range is enough to trigger it to announce again. In the video of the Low Approach at night, as the pilot kept getting 1's or 2's, this shows the plane is being flown in a band of 5", which is expected.

For example, it took just less than two hours to get it installed on the Piper. With most of that time just to fabricate another panel. Wiring through the wing to the back of the aircraft panel was less than 15 min as wires are prepared outside and pushed through.
Wow. I wish I had your A&P's proficiency at removing and reinstalling seats and side trim. It takes me close to two hrs just to do that before we even start to count the time required for anything else.

I want it and am ordering just for the added bonus of the landing gear call. Sweet!

This seems similsr to the aural RA callouts in a transport category jet. But those aircraft are full of logic circuitry that inhibits the aural callouts in takeoff config. Is this system also inhibited on takeoff? I didn't see that mentioned anywhere.

This seems similsr to the aural RA callouts in a transport category jet. But those aircraft are full of logic circuitry that inhibits the aural callouts in takeoff config. Is this system also inhibited on takeoff? I didn't see that mentioned anywhere.
Good question. Anybody?

Latest posts

Back