• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Landing Height System is now FAA Certified for all Pipers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Marty. That was good info!

we’ve heard that it is WiFi enabled, what does it talk to?
if it is an app on a mobile device, can it run in the background while something else like ForeFlight is in the foreground?

Is there an on/off switch someplace so it can be disabled so the students can learn to land without the call outs?

WiFi is used during installation and setup.
Call outs can be disabled. In my case, LHS audio input is through the audio panel (old ADF - previously removed from aircraft)
So audio from LHS can simply be switched off at audio panel.
Marty

PS
Happy to answer any questions regarding my experience with the LHS.
Marty

Thank you Marty. We appreciate your input and glad you are satisfied with your unit.

we’ve heard that it is WiFi enabled, what does it talk to?
if it is an app on a mobile device, can it run in the background while something else like ForeFlight is in the foreground?

Is there an on/off switch someplace so it can be disabled so the students can learn to land without the call outs?

The Wi-Fi system is used to set up the system on the ground before first flight; this tells the unit how high it is installed off the ground so subsequent callouts refer to the height from the bottom of the wheels to the ground below. The Wi-Fi system is also used to “test audio” during or before final installation to confirm audio compatibility before drilling holes or finalizing the installation. And of course, for firmware update and enabling other features.

Generally, once the system is fully installed and operational; there will be no need to access the Wi-Fi system at all, unless to upgrade firmware or enable/disable features such as the “Check Landing Gear” voice reminder message.

There is no App. Wi-Fi systems can be accessed using any browser on any phone or tablet.

Regarding disabling the callouts; this can be done using the “Switched” channel input. For example, on Marty’s airplane, it was installed using the ADF channel. Or using the circuit breaker if a “Switched” type audio channel is not used. Or using a dedicated toggle switch if installed.

However, for flying schools that like to disable the callout internally, regardless if the student enabled the “Switched” type audio channel, we are providing an option that can be accessed via the Wi-Fi to deactivate the unit. It is still powered, but it will skip all announcements. This is for certain situations where the flying school wants to disable the unit at certain “student solo” flights. Of course, the Wi-Fi password needs to be changed to one that the student can’t access themselves to re-enable the system. Though, the feedback we received from various schools and instructors; they do want the student to use it for “solo”. If you look at several AOPA and FAA statistics for the past few years, the majority of "stall during flare" happen with student solo. The fatality rate is extremely low, but the accident rate and hard landings are high.

Regards
Nidal

Is it available in Australia?

We ship worldwide. We do have an installer (an avionics shop in Kippa Ring) that ordered it and installed it on a Mooney a few months back, before the FAA certification was done. They got an EO (Engineering Order) to install it on the Mooney from your local authority. We sent them the exact certified unit. They believe the EO order is much simpler now that the unit is certified and also considering someone else in AU already has it on a certified airplane. Depending on your location in AU, email us if you would like their contact details.

I have only 1 NAV COM radio, and no audio panel. How would it work with my installation? Or could it?

I am assuming the NAV/COM is also the "intercom". And it should have audio AUX input or other NAV2/ADF/DME extra Audio input to allow for identifying other equipment through the intercom. Email us the make/model of the NAV/COM and/or intercom to check its manual.

600 hour pilot- 500 of that in my Cherokee 6. Its a long nose so the runway disappears quite quickly, even before a true flare, leaving a pretty small window to observe the runway in front of the wing and nose. Liking this particularly at night. nearly a third of my hours are night hours.

there will be no need to access the Wi-Fi system at all, unless to upgrade firmware or enable/disable features such as the “Check Landing Gear” voice reminder message.

So I have an idea for you. If you could provide a pin I could drive low or high to disable the landing gear callout that would be awesome. That way I could physically turn the warning on or off with wiring without using wifi during the installation, or whenever.

Do this and I totally promise I won't hook it up to my landing gear down indicator, thereby providing the audible callout/warning only if the gear isn't yet down. Did I say I promise?

Latest posts

Back