• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Lance vibration/buffeting with lopresti cowl.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudyann

Reaction score
I plagerized a bit of this post from the Piper Owners site because it descibes my condition perfectly. It was posted by a guy named Phil, but there was no conclusion on the issue. I am hoping Phil or someone in the know is a participant on this site who can help. Thanks in advance.

I have a normally aspirated Lance with about every speed mod known to man. Included in that list is the Lopresti cowl. At greater than approximately 110-120 kias (altitude 1200-3500ft) there is significant buffeting or burbling of airflow felt in the airframe. It feels as though it is coming from the under the cowling as it is most significantly felt in your feet and then in the seat. There is none from the controls. It seems to diminish toward the rear of the aircraft. It is an irregular constant buffeting.

I am looking for any advice or experience in this area. Do all Lances have rough airflow underfoot? It has a 3 blade Top-Prop, could it be from the prop wash? I do not think this would be it since the buffeting resolves at slower airspeeds.

Thanks for your help,
Jeff

Latest posts

Back