• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Lance broken nose gear cylinder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was about 10 minutes from my destination and heard a loud bang and felt it in the floorboard under my feet. The airplane was flying normal so I continued to my destination. I entered the downwind and attempted to lower the gear. I got the 2 mains down but the nose gear would not come down. I then used the emergency extension handle and the nose gear extended but the green light never illuminated and I still had a gear unsafe light illuminated. I then did a couple low passes so a pilot on the ground at the airport could verify the nose gear was down. It appeared the gear was down so I executed a landing without further incident.
When I shut down I found the nose gear cylinder had broken from the fuselage mount. Unfortunately, when the cylinder broke away it also damaged the gear down switch.
All in all, a pretty bad day.
I cruised several internet sites looking for information on this problem and it seems this isn’t an uncommon problem.
I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them?

0704161210.jpg

Latest posts

Back