• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Laminated Checklist Recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RamseyT

Reaction score
Recommendations for best laminated checklists? There are a dozen brands out there.

Make up your own. Start with the POH checklist, and modify as required, print it out and laminate it. I use a Flows based checklist, rather than read/do. I do that for any plane I fly regularly.

Below is what my format looks like, I fold the regular letter size page printout in half, and laminate, gives a nice two sided 5.5 x 8.5 card. I color code the sections, blue is on the ground, yellow is in the air, red is critical, green is O2. Card is organized so you flip it over after takeoff. Also added some key numbers for quick reference. Some of the card flows and data is also placarded on the panel. Have a similar one for the Emergency checklist. All the checklists have also been entered into the panel instruments for electronic reference.

Also attached a PDF for closer inspection.

1611596590286.png

Attachments

• IFR checklist v3 - CPO.pdf
    98.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I also make my own and use a letter sized piece of heavy card stock. I don't bother to laminate it, since I periodically change it. It will last several months... then print a new one with any of the marked up notes you made.

I make two columns per side, portrait mode, easy enough for me to read. I've taken what I like from others, and add the reminders that I need. Often used things are all on one side (just pick it up), emergency/misc things on the back (just turn it over). The key is to make it easy to use for you.

I also have my own in the same size as Orest with similar information. I also have some useful thumb rules, mandatory IFR reports, IFR position reports etc.

Single laminated sheet, printed on front and back. Large black print on white paper; two columns per side. Easy to read at night in red lighting.

Here's a thread about some poor fella who failed a checkride by doing something from a generic checklist that wasn't specified for his particular model of airplane.

Busted checkride using generic checklist

Last edited:
I generate my laminated checklists in Powerpoint. Open a new file and set to the appropriate size - probably 'A4' in Europe or 'Letter' in the US, or whatever custom size you like.

Then generate the checklist. It's a bit of work but once done and aligned then print out and laminate as mentioned above.

We make our own for our Dakota, modeled after ones we liked for smaller PA28’s from a former flight school which used to make and sell them. We do it in PowerPoint and print out double-sided and laminate. The key elements of our design are:
- folded in the middle so checklist fits in kneeboard.
- interior of fold has emergency checklists, engine/radios and fire/electrical/misc.
- exterior has normal checklists
- one exterior side has pre-takeoff lists
- other exterior side has only flight lists

I've attached .pptx and .pdf versions in case someone finds them useful in creating or modifying their own.

Attachments

• N12345 - checklist.pdf
    261.3 KB · Views: 89
  • N12345 - checklist.pptx
    67.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Here’s mine. Feel free to plagiarize. I'm about to change it again as I'm removing the vacuum system and installing a new stack and AV-30s. I also designed a couple safety features into it:

1) The fuel selector is set to the lowest tank (or lighter side) on start-up and remains there through taxi. It is then switched to the opposite tank on run-up. This tests both fuel systems. For 4-tankers, you might do start-up, taxi, run-up, and taxi prior to takeoff.

2) I leave carb heat on and chop the throttle to see if the engine dies. This is the worst-case scenario and you don't want the engine quitting if this actually becomes necessary. I tell my students to be mean to the engine on the ground, where it's safe, so you know how it'll behave when it counts.

Attachments

• N57360 Checklist v4.docx
    33 KB · Views: 72

Latest posts

Back