• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Laminated Checklist Recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1) The fuel selector is set to the lowest tank (or lighter side) on start-up and remains there through taxi. It is then switched to the opposite tank on run-up. This tests both fuel systems. For 4-tankers, you might do start-up, taxi, run-up, and taxi prior to takeoff.
I would counsel against this. Changing tanks shortly before departure, you run the risk of an engine stoppage just after takeoff. There could be just enough fuel in the gascolator and carburetor to get you off the ground with insufficient altitude (time) to correct a problem.

I select my departure fuel tank before engine start. I do not touch the fuel selector until I am at a safe altitude, generally my cruise altitude of 5k to 7k ft, and in glide range of an airport.

Similarly, I select my landing fuel tank before beginning my descent. I know of a wreck of a PA-28 that occurred because the pilot attempted to change to the "fullest tank" turning final, even though he had plenty of fuel in his current tank. He mistakenly cut off his fuel, and ended up in someone's back yard short of the airport.

Also................when you change tanks airborne................keep your hand ON the selector for about a minute. If the engine quits, your hand is already in the correct place to restore power.

I would counsel against this. Changing tanks shortly before departure, you run the risk of an engine stoppage just after takeoff. There could be just enough fuel in the gascolator and carburetor to get you off the ground with insufficient altitude (time) to correct a problem.

I select my departure fuel tank before engine start. I do not touch the fuel selector until I am at a safe altitude, generally my cruise altitude of 5k to 7k ft, and in glide range of an airport.

I would just like to second this. If one wants to appreciate this first hand in a safe way, turn your fuel selector to off after start up before taxiing and prepare to be amazed at how long your engine runs. Don’t ask me how I know.

Last edited:

Similarly, I select my landing fuel tank before beginning my descent. I know of a wreck of a PA-28 that occurred because the pilot attempted to change to the "fullest tank" turning final, even though he had plenty of fuel in his current tank. He mistakenly cut off his fuel, and ended up in someone's back yard short of the airport.

I think you misread what I wrote. My method does not do that. I use one tank for start up and taxi to the run-up area, then switch before run-up to the takeoff and climb tank. That way the fuel lines from both wings are checked prior to flight.

Leaving it on the same tank until airborne is a good way to find out there’s a problem in the worst possible way.

I agree with Cap and many others kn this message board. Make your own. You will be forced to think long and hard about your procedures in a way that will help you memorize these, but also question what is important, and what you actually do. You will become a better pilot for it. Buy a ream of 8.5 x 11 card stock, and a laminator, these are remarkably cheap. At first do not laminate, you will find you need to mark up your checklist with modifications. After a few revisions you will be ready to laminate.
Disclaimer: review this checklist to your CFI if you have any doubts or concerns.

Another option - printed double sided on card stock and laminated with 10 mil 8.5 X 11 laminate sleeve, trimmed to fit. boxed items are memory/flow (do, verify) items.

Attachments

• PA28-236 Checklist Rev 5.pdf
    376.8 KB · Views: 87
Make up your own. Start with the POH checklist, and modify as required, print it out and laminate it. I use a Flows based checklist, rather than read/do. I do that for any plane I fly regularly.

Below is what my format looks like, I fold the regular letter size page printout in half, and laminate, gives a nice two sided 5.5 x 8.5 card. I color code the sections, blue is on the ground, yellow is in the air, red is critical, green is O2. Card is organized so you flip it over after takeoff. Also added some key numbers for quick reference. Some of the card flows and data is also placarded on the panel. Have a similar one for the Emergency checklist. All the checklists have also been entered into the panel instruments for electronic reference.

Also attached a PDF for closer inspection.

<snip>
Would you mind posting your emergency checklist in PDF also? I'm moving to more of a flow-check approach also. Can always learn from what works for others.

Here are my PA32 checklists undergoing final "checks", with Electroair. Kneeboard size, one side ground ops and the other side WOT-LOP. Second if not flying WOT using the POH the power table ROP or LOP for my brother.
Also detailed version, with emergency ops.

Attachments

• checklist PA32_fly.pdf
    83.5 KB · Views: 54
  • checklist PA32_fly WOT-LOP.pdf
    90.2 KB · Views: 28
  • checklist PA32_ground.pdf
    81.2 KB · Views: 22
  • checklist PA32_DETAIL final.pdf
    275.7 KB · Views: 30
Everyone seems pretty interested in checklist design. I have done some of this for my day job. If you are bored, here are some great resources to check out with respect to checklist design and Human Factors - really interesting stuff.

Degani, A., Weiner, E. L., (1998). Design and Operational Aspects of Flight Deck Procedures. In Proceedings of the International Air Transport Association (IATA) Annual Meeting. Montreal, Canada.

Degani, A., Wiener, E. L. (1994). On the design of flight-deck procedures (NASA Contractor Report 177642). Moffett Field, CA: NASA Ames Research Center.

Degani, A. (1992). On the typography of flight- deck documentation (NASA Contractor Report 177605). Moffett Field, CA: NASA Ames Research Center.

Degani, A., Wiener, E. L. (1990). The human factors of flight-deck checklists: The normal checklist (NASA Contractor Report 177549). Moffett Field, CA: NASA Ames

Degani, A., Weiner, E. L. Cockpit Checklists: Concepts, Design, and Use. Human Factors 35(2), pp.28-43.

National Transportation Safety Board. (1989). Delta Air Lines, Boeing 727- 232, N473DA. Dallas- Fort Worth International Airport, Texas. August 31, 1988 (Aircraft Accident Report, NTSB/AAR- 89/04). Washington, DC.

National Transportation Safety Board. (1988). Northwest Airlines. DC- 9- 82 N312RC, Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport. Romulus, Michigan. August 16, 1987 (Aircraft Accident Report, NTSB/AAR- 88/05). Washington, DC.

Safety Regulation Group, Civil Aviation Authority. (2006). Guidance on the Design, Presentation, and Use of Emergency and Abnormal Checklists (CAP 676). Gatwick Airport South, West Sussex, UK.

Turner, J, Huntley, M, (1991). The Use and Design of Flightcrew Checklists and Manuals. (DOT/FAA/AM-91/7) Office of Aviation medicine, Washington, D.C.

U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Aviation Administration. (2007). Volume 3, Chapter 32, Section 12. Aircraft Checklists for 14 CFR Parts 121/135. Washington, DC.

U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Aviation Administration. (2003). AC120-71A – Standard Operating Procedures for Flight Deck Crewmembers. Washington, DC.

Latest posts

Back