• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

JPI data from engine running very rough after good run up 1979 w Archer O-360

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8092e

Reaction score
I had two concerning moments this Saturday after a bunch of flying (~2.3 hours). I did 1.2 hr flight then stopped to pick up K9 passenger and fuel. I had a little trouble starting (assumed because it was warm/hot). Once started ran fine and good run up. Full throttle take off and climb and engine started to sputter. I quickly circled while flipping tanks and throwing on carb heat thinking possible ice issue. Engine smoothed and I circled and did mag check no issues. Assumed it was short ice incident.

All the data from the JPI in flight looked normal. Flew 45 minutes for another K9 passenger and then 35 minutes for drop off and return home. No issues all run up and in flight data seems normal. After returning home I was ready to leave for final drop off and did run up and had to wait behind a check ride. After a couple minutes I started to roll into position and JPI started flashing that cylinder 1 & 2 were 500 degrees different. Basically telling me what I knew E1/2 had stopped running for 30 seconds or so. Luckily I was on the ground and taxied back to my hanger. I pulled both plugs and they looked great except for some lead in the bottom but clean and no appearance of any oil fouling or other issues.

I've attached the screen print from the JPI dump. I'm stumped the only thing I can think is a sticking valve? But two valves on two different cylinders seems odd to me. During the second event it appears the fuel flow went up when E1/2 got cooler. Any thoughts are very much appreciated.

John
8092e 1979 Archer

ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1402272320.311899.jpgImageUploadedByPiper Forum1402272359.574781.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Piper Forum

Latest posts

Back