• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Question about how to interpret the data from the JPI EDM Carb temp probe.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked up my pa28-181 after an install of the JPI EDM 830, and i had them put in the carb temp probe.

In flight the temp probe reads about 10-15 F at cruise. (1 flight worth of data)

On approach if i turn on carb heat, the reading rises as expected.

Question is how do you use the information on to decide when you need carb heat. would you add carb heat if descending anytime that the carb temp was < XX F ?

My current SOP is to run Carb heat anytime that i‘m descending or on approach and the temp is < 10C and there is visible moisture. I guess i can continue using this rule, but was thinking that the probe would help me add decide to add carb heat under other conditions?

thanks for the info in advance.

Latest posts

Back