• Become a Subscribing Member today!

PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots with over 1,500+ active members.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• Swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts.
    • We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more.
    • In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Become a Subscribing Member and access PiperForum.com in full!

Subscribe Now

JPI 830 EGT/CHT probe problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m plagued by some recent unexpected electrical issues in my ‘78 Arrow III. I’ve recently experienced a flashing CHT probe indicator on my Arrow’s JPI-830 screen (the EGT indicator IS shown), mostly for #4 cyl, sometimes for #3 cyl. And today while on my first post-annual check flight (note: the annual required purchase of a new Concorde RG 35-AXC battery) the 830 now displayed NO #1 cyl CHT!

My mechanic’s shop says these cylinder probe connections are not without problems. He says they’ll swap the probes into the different cylinders to see if it’s a dead probe or else poor seating in the cylinders.

This post-annual has had other electrical indicators that were eventually worked through, such as the need to replace my Lamar voltage regulator (14 V) But I’m concerned that the new battery might have been insufficiently charged prior to my check flight requiring the alternator to work hard to recharge it during flight, and might have caused a current surge through various avionics. I say this because my alt/amp meter needle was pegged to 70 amps when I throttled full power for t.o., and this was when I noticed the 830 #1 cyl issue.

Clearly, I’m not knowledgeable here. Any advice or “virtual” troubleshooting from the many experts in this expert audience?

Latest posts

Back