• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

IO-360 doesn't develop 2700 rpm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldtymeflyer

Reaction score
I’ve got a problem. . .or maybe not.

Usually, the engine on my 1967 180hp Arrow develops 2700 rpm for take-off and I have to reduce MP (to 25 in.) and rpm (to 2500) after take-off.

Recently, I noticed that at full power for take-off the engine only developed 2500 rpm. It was hot (about 90°) and density altitude was a little higher than normal (3300’ as opposed to 1100’). Earlier this week the DA was lower (2300’). While acceleration and climb were better, the engine still only developed 2500 rpm.

When I have been at higher altitudes (Colorado Springs and Santa Fe), my recollection is that manifold pressure was a lot lower than at my home base, but the engine still developed about 2700 rpm.

Do moderate changes in density Altitude affect rpm or only manifold pressure? If not normal, what should I be looking at as the cause of the rpm reduction?

I’d appreciate any information you can give me.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back