• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

IFR panel upgrade decision time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unipres

Reaction score
So I have a mid time 1000 SMOH 2500TTAF Cherokee 140 in annual and decent shape. A year ago I lost the logs in a fire. Rebuilding the AD's a fresh but expensive annual and a prop overhaul has me back flying again. It has a basic with KX-170 nav/com without glide. Paint is about a 5 interior is about a 7. I figure with the lost logs, I'm going to take a hit on value if I want to sell but really not lost value to me if I fly since I know what it was.

I recently acquired a KX-155 with glide and indicator, Garmin 430W (Fresh yellow tag from Garmin) with indicator and audio panel somewhat below market value from a dinged up Mooney with the plan to upgrade my panel to full IFR.

Without getting too specific, my panel upgrade parts and labor with IFR certification including a new Stratus ES ADS-B Out connected to the 430 will be right at $15k.

It seems I have a couple options:

1. Sell the plane at a loss (because of logs) and the IFR equipment at a slight profit and buy an already configured IFR 140, probably still needing the ADS-B out.

2. Take what I have and assemble it.

I'm leaning strongly towards updating mine. I know one is typically lucky to get 50 cents on the dollar back on upgrades but I really did buy the IFR equipment at a really good rate.

I guess I just wanted to sanity check my plan with other Cherokee owners before I pull the trigger. What are your thoughts?

Thank You,

Mike

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back