• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

How do I gap massive spark plugs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atlcenter

Reaction score
I am getting ready to change out some spark plugs on my PA28-180 due to fouling on my right mag. I will be putting in massive REM37BY to replace REM38E at the recommendation of Lycoming. The issue is that the right mag check is increasingly fouled when doing run up. It will clear but even with aggressive leaning it is usually fouled. So the plan is to change two on one side fired with the right mag and if that doesn't solve it then move the new plugs to the other side served by the right mag.

But, the real reason for posting is to ask about gapping spark plugs. Are they gapped when you get them? If I need to gap them then can they be gapped with standard automotive wire gauge set? I've gapped many auto style plugs but never aircraft types.

Any advise welcome.

Latest posts

Back