• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Hartzel Scimitar prop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillB

Reaction score
Has anybody done the Hartzel Scimitar prop conversion on their arrow? My plane is in the shop now and AFTER they did the eddy current inspection, the prop shop told me I should immediately start shopping for a new prop since it hadn't been "resealed" in 20 years (bought the plane 3 years ago and this is the first mechanic that has mentioned the problem) and a full overhaul would likely be very expensive to the point where a new propeller would be the best option (glad the prop shop told me after I had to pay the $400 inspection which is now a waste of money). After hearing the possibility of what could go wrong with a prop that is not properly maintained, I decided it is nothing to mess around and I'll get the problem addressed. A plane with an engine that dies, no big deal, a plane where the engine is ripped off the engine mount from a slung prop, kind of a big deal.

Anyway, the shop was really trying to convince my mechanic to go with the Hartzel Scimitar prop, which has better performance, eliminates most of my limitations during cruise and does not require any more somewhat costly eddy current inspections. It does, however, cost $8,400 plus shipping. Has anybody done this conversion and what are your thoughts?

My annual was already at $6,400, might as well tack on the prop, YIKES!

Latest posts

Back