• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

GTN & IFD feature changes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontrangeflyer01

Reaction score
Getting my ADS-B upgrade planned and I'm also getting quotes for the Garmin FS 210 at the same time. It's coming out to about $1500 cost installed.

I'm planning on starting my IFR training in the spring.

For those with a Garmin 430/530W in the dash using ForeFlight on an iPad, is the FS210 worth $1500 for an IFR pilot?
When I was upgrading my panel, I was evaluating the Garmin GTN 750 vs. Avidyne IFD 550.

I was surprised to see Garmin broke out wireless connectivity as a separate $1,500 "option" while Avidyne bundled it in. In this day and age, wireless connectivity as an option seems ludicrous.

I also noticed that the Forward Looking Terrain Alerting (FLTA) was free with the Avidyne, but $8,000K (requires TAWS) for the GTN. I fly IFR in the Rockies, so this seemed like an important option.

Those two items plus the free ADS-B deal Avidyne offers (if you ask) made the total Avidyne package seem very attractive.

I'm not affiliated with Avidyne and love Garmin gear (own dual G5's).

That said, if you're 100% Garmin (including Garmin Pilot app) and flying IFR, I would say the FS210 is definitely worth the investment.

P.S. Upgrade that 430w if at all possible. It's MUCH easier to pass your IFR checkride with a modern Nav/Com (GTN or IFD). A good DPE will bust you if they catch you flying the magenta line on your iPad.

Latest posts

Back