• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

GPS in the spring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My annual bonus is shaping up nicely, I think I will be in a position to get an IFR GPS installed into my airplane in the spring. Looking for opinions and pireps on various units. My existing set up is this:

Narco MK12D and KX170B. Garmin Aera 510, airgizmo mounted. Stratus ESG for ADS-B. I own a TruTrak, but it is not installed yet. Might have it installed at the same time as the GPS.

I've been thinking about the Avidyne IFD440. I like this because of the backward compatibility with the GNS430w. If I upgrade airplanes, all I need to do is find one with a 430 in it and swap the avidyne into the new plane and toss the 430 into mine before I sell it. :)

But, I've also been looking at the GTX175 and 375. My understanding is that they are the same, except for the latter having a nav/com in it. Is this true?

Then, I consider the risk of having too much built into a single box. Is it better to get the 175, then keep the existing dinosaur radios? They work fine. The theory is that a single failure can be contained to a single unit instead of risking losing COM on a single COM/NAV/GPS box.

Latest posts

Back