• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Gear system question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65Y

Reaction score
Since I'm here to check out my prop sales PM...

I had an interesting experience this week. I talked with a group of Aerospace Engineering students that was working on an assignment to design a retractable gear mod on a Yak-54. This group came up with hydraulic telescoping struts who's locking mechanism was ferromagnetic fluid. Once extended an electromagnet was activated which would 'solidify' the fluid within the field. I commented about how it would make the gear really stiff and unforgiving to rusty pilots! But I guess the density of the fluid can be controlled by the strength of the magnetic field to double as shock absorbers too.

This is definitely thinking 'outside of the box', but it got me thinking about the PA-28/32/34 gear. How much fluid is in that system?

Latest posts

Back