• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Gear Down & Locked Indicator Light Socket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avidflyer2

Reaction score
Recently I had the misfortune to discover the "Left Gear" down & locked (green) indicator would not illuminate with the gear down. The short version of this story is that the indicator's electrical socket in the instrument panel lost continuity between the connecting pins on the back of the socket and the lamp contacts inside of the socket. This socket is unusual in that both the lamp's center pin contact and the lamp's outer ring contact are insulated from the outside threaded collar inserted through the hole in the instrument panel (the lamp is grounded at the fixed dimming resistor or the NAV light switch). Even more unusual is the fact that the power wire is not connected to the lamp's center contact but to the outer ring in this application. This is backwards from normal convention and kind of made troubleshooting a little bit harder.

The Indicator Light comes as an entire assembly (less bulb) with the legend inscribed on the face of the indicator. The basic indicator 67422-04 (Stall Warning), -05 (Left Gear), -06 (Right Gear), -07 (Nose Gear) have the same base but different legends. Prices varied greatly between the various part numbers with the -04 (Stall) being the cheapest by more than $60. Since I only needed the socket and intended to reuse the indicator, I purchased the -04.

When I received the Piper PN: 472-763 (67422-04) ("Stall") Indicator Assy it came in a smaller sealed bag with the manufacturer's name "Dialight" and mfr PN "183-9830-14604". A quick check with some of the online electrical component suppliers revealed that the Dialight socket can be obtained for about $50, or less than half of the Piper Indicator. If you need only the socket and not the legend portion you may want to order from an online supplier.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back