• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Gascolator replacement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Archer was in for its annual inspection & the gascolator was found to have its cover "damaged" requiring replacement as an airworthiness item. The gascolator came with the plane when purchased in 2006. There has been no accident/incident involving the lower cowl on the pilot's side since I've owned it, so no obvious reason for the cover to be damaged. I did have the engine pulled, remanufactured & replaced two years ago. The engine was pulled & replaced in the same shop doing the annual inspection. In fact, this same shop has done the annual inspection for the prior 8 years & never before found this issue. They purchased a "Steve's" gascolator (the maintenance mgr. said this was to save me some expense) but without getting my advance approval installed the gascolator which required a new hole for the quick-drain (new one longer than old) and repair to the lower cowling fiberglass requiring several hours of expensive tech time. Is the "Steve's" gascolator an improvement worth the effort? Or am I being taken by this shop? Was the damage likely from their removal/reinstall of the engine or is it likely just normal wear & tear?

Latest posts

Back