• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Garmin G5 and Factory Autopilot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6015

Reaction score
I'm doing some advance planning for future upgrades/repairs with regard to instruments and vacuum systems. My vacuum pump has an unknown amount of life left; technically it has 400 hours on it, but it's an older airtech model with no inspection port. Likewise some of my gyro instruments are pretty old so when one of those goes I'm inclined to upgrade to something like the Dynon D10 or Garmin G5. I'm not a fan of vacuum systems so the slight extra cost is worth it to me.

That being said I think I would have an issue interfacing the heading information from one of those units to the factory autopilot (Auto Control IIIB) for heading hold. Does anyone know what the signal that drives the heading hold is, or where I could find a spec for the interface on that unit?

Latest posts

Back