• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Garmin Flight Stream 210 Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have had a few PMs from my post in another thread about my Garmin GDL88 ADSB and flight stream 210 install. A couple ask for updates so for those interested here are some updates and answers to a few of the questions.

My main reason for,this upgrade is of course the ADSB mandate but also the ability to upload flight plans from Garmin Pilot wirelessly to the GTN 650 and the ability to display ADSB traffic and weather from the GDL88 ADSB box on my iPad which of course is a larger screen than the GTN650 although the information will also be on the 650. I will also be able to compare the ADSB weather product to XM weather that I have on my Garmin 796 where I also display approach plates. Right now I plan to keep XM weather. The flight stream will also provide the Garmin pilot app with attitude pitch and roll information for the panel and synthetic vision pages which should provide a reasonable backup in case of a vacuum failure in IMC.

I checked in on the installation today,,which is supposed to be done tomorrow and was surprised to see the amount of disassembly to the panel that was required for the install.

View attachment ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1423499478.354521.jpg

The flight stream box is installed in the tail which surprised me but I am told that for the Bluetooth connection between the GTN650 and iPAD, it is best not to have the flight stream behind the metal panel. You can see the black flight stream box with the direction of flight arrow on the left side of the below picture.

View attachment ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1423499682.958131.jpg

Hopefully it will be done tomorrow and I will post some updates once I get a chance to have a few flights for those interested or for those thinking about a similar installation.

Latest posts

Back