• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Garmin / Avidyne / or ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golf-Foxtrot-Yankee

Reaction score
Hello all - I am in the planning stages of a panel upgrade (mostly because my home airport no longer has an approach other than GPS/RNAV). I would definetly want an IFR GPS approach certified.

My thoughts are losing the Loran (obviously), the ADF, and one of the KX155's. I think there may be a used market for the Nav/Comm and the ADF. I also have an Astrotech LC-2P yoke mounted clock that does not work. My thought is to put a panel mounted clock in one of the available slots on the left panel.

I have a 1986 Archer II, and everything works:

(1) King KI 209
(1) King KI 208
(1) KX 155 with LOC G/S
(1) KX 155
(1) KAP 100 Autopilot System (single axis)
(1) KT 76A Transponder
(1) KMA 24 Audio Panel
(1) King R86 ADF

(1) Paper weight (Northstar M1 Loran)

I have a yoke mounted Garmin 396, and typically use an Ipad with WingXpro7 for navigation charts, afd, plates, etc.... I also have a work Ipad loaded with Jepp Pro Charts.

I am torn between the 430W, 530W, GTN 650, Avidyne IFD 440, or something that I can install and use for several years (not sure if that option exists.

I'd love suggestions from folks that have had a similiar dilema, and am open to suggestions.

Latest posts

Back