• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Garmin Aera

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andybean

Reaction score
Im sure this topic has been beat to death. But after much back. And forth, I finally broke down and bought the Aera 500.
Have been using iPad and fore flight for several months. The iPad works great but there are several features that fore flight does not offer that I felt only a tru aviation GPS could do. Direct to, and nearest airport being the biggest add with an aviation GPS. The iPad will handle direct to with several steps. As opposed to a quick touch of the direct to button on the Aera.
Also I find the Aera GPS function to be quicker and more responsive to heading changes. ( I have the bad elf for my iPad).
For. $699, the Aera is a bargain. I love the touch screen and had no issues with using it in turbulence.
Having not used the 296 , I can't really comment or compare the two. I have the iPad set up on the co pilot yoke facing my direction. The Aera is on the pilot yoke.

Latest posts

Back