• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

For Sale - 1979 Piper Archer II

jdfrey1

Reaction score
I have decided that the time has come for me to sell my 1979 Piper Archer II. It is loaded with a Garmin 430W WAAS GPS NAV/COM, 340 Audio Panel, 327 Transponder, Knots 2U speed mods and many other upgrades. N2893Z has been an excellent plane that has been very reliable and economical to operate. It is a solid and stable IFR platform that I regularly fly in IMC. It has safely flown my family to many destinations. The only reason we are looking to sell is to upgrade to something slightly larger as my family grows. I have excellent maintenance records and have worked hand in hand with my mechanics over the last 5 years to ensure that all issues were addressed properly. The speed modifications result in a true airspeed of 129 knots at 9,000 feet, and the avionics including coupled autopilot to the Garmin 430W make flying IFR and cross-country flights a breeze. It also has low engine hours with a Penn Yan overhauled engine installed just over a year ago. Why buy somebody else’s less-equipped Archer when you can buy one that won’t break the bank with costly avionics upgrades and maintenance expenses?

Here is a link to more information and pictures of the airplane:
http://www.thefreyfamily.net/n2893z

PaulR

Reaction score
Nice looking Archer and well equipped and sold my 82 last November very similar for a lot less, check the major online listings like Controller,Trade A Plane etc to see what the market is for yours, price it right and will be able to sell it and the Archer is a great aircraft, if ROP on the pricing it will sit forever in this market so do some home work and best wishes selling it.

What are you moving up to?

Last edited:

jdfrey1

Reaction score
I'd like to move up to a Saratoga. Turbo and retract. It would be nice to go a little faster, haul a little more and be able to get over more of the weather. This is my 2nd Piper that I've owned, the first was a 1966 Cherokee 180C.

RNC

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking at the Saratoga too. Wound up liking the looks of the Lance more, as I shopped around, the Lance didn't have silly thinks like "writing tables" and built in VCRs (lol?) killing the useful load.

I think a good, but ugly, Lance is a prime candidate for buying cheap, giving it new paint and interior, and winding up with better than a later model Saratoga potentially.

It just so happened that the best deal out there when I was shopping was the turbo Commander I wound up with. If you don't need 6 seats the turbo Commanders are actually worth a look as well, imo. The factory being gone has made them a great value, if you have a mechanic nearby who knows the make/model.

softground

Arrow Driver
Reaction score
Good looking Archer. I ended up buying an Arrow but the Archer was definitely on my short list. Btw... Your photo at KFFA shows your Archer tied down at the exact same tie down I used last fall..... Great trip, beautiful day to fly.....

Sent from my iPad using Piper Forum

jdfrey1

Reaction score
I agree that the Lance looks good from the cost perspective. Especially if you find one that has updated avionics, paint and interior. The only thing with this is that I really don't like the Hersheybar wing. I've owned both a 1965 Cherokee 180C and now the 1979 Archer and they handled significantly different due to the wings. I feel much more stable with the swept wing. I'm not sure if this is the same with the Lance vs. Saratoga but I guess I should at least consider and check out some Lance's in my search. I definitely know that I don't want the T-tail Lance though from my research.

PaulR

Reaction score
jdfrey1

I have fair amount of time in a Archer and owned one, and a lot of time in straight tail Lance, Turbo Saratoga and Commander 114 that I bought last year. You got to decide what your useful load is and need or if you need 4 seats versus the six even if you don t use all of the them to make a decision. What I can tell you from flying them is your 180C Hershey Bar Wing will quit flying just like the Lance does only heavier and easy to transition to, the tapered Archer wing and the Saratoga tend to float a little more and easier to ballon if you don't keep your speed correct.

If I needed six seats sometimes I would by the Lance with club seats and pour 100k into the panel and paint which would make a really great plane due to its better useful load than the Saratoga that I like so much but costs so much more. If you only need four seats and want decent speed 150-155 knots, full fuel and four passengers a Commander-114 is a great plane that I moved up to last year. Dont worry about the two different wing styles of Hershey bar versus tapered as some training and instruction with a good CFI you will be taking off and landing great real soon.

When I was looking to move up I picked three planes that would meet my mission, Commander-114, Dakota and Arrow and shopped to find the best plane I could afford and buy the best one I could find for sale with the most equipment and improvements installed,and didn't want to get locked into one model only and wanted the best bang for the buck as they say.

mdjezierski

Reaction score
It appears he did. That tail number is now registered to a Jeffrey Baxley of Conway, Arkansas