• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

First GA flight --- Now I got the bug!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drotto25

Reaction score
Some background. My dad in retirement decided to get a pilot's licence. He passed his test about 6 months ago, and has added both complex and high performance sing offs to his training, He is currently working for his IFR. About 5 months ago he purchased a 1982 Saratoga SP, and had it fully reconditioned. It has new paint, glass panel new, new interior, basically a new plane.

Last weekend he stopped by the airport five minutes from my house with the instructor doing his type sing-off in his finally delivered plane. We hop in go about 45 minutes, and I stop for my first $100 hamburger. Walking back to the plane, my dad tosses me the keys, and he and the instructor tell me to get in the left seat. Understandably shocked, and thinking they are slightly nuts (this plane is not a trainer by any means), I somewhat reluctantly agree to do it. At which point I got to take off, fly for about 15 minutes, and line the plane up for the approach. The instructor then lands the plane. Both agree it could not have gone better for a person that has never been in a plane with less than 19 seats, let alone flown. We swap seats and head home.

End of story....... I really want to fly now! My local airport's flight school trains on Piper Warriors and Archers, which I figure is an advantage seeing my goal would be to be able to fly my dad's plane. My wife is obviously concerned with safety, and her fear of air sickness, but mainly the cost to get training. My in-laws think small planes are death traps and have made it very clear that they feel their grand kids should never be in one. However, I know a well trained, cautious, and smart GA pilot can be very safe, and I would aim to be nothing less. So some fairly large road blocks, but damn was it fun.

Latest posts

Back