• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Filiform corrosion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My airplane has several spots of filiform corrosion on it. All of it is on the bottom. About 80% is on the bottom of the fuselage and 20% on the bottom of the wings. Top of wings and fusealge are perfect.

The overall paint on the airplane is "good enough" to last 3-5 more years. A repaint is on my wish list, but really not until 2022. I know with a full repaint, they will strip it down, acid etch and alodine the whole thing, which would obviously take care of it. But, I need to do something to remove and treat these areas in the interim. My IA is game to take care of it at the annual in a few months. My question, however, is if left untreated - what kind of problem is this? Does this type of corrosion spread quickly or slowly and how long would it take before it progressed into a structural issue? I am 100% confident that everything I have is just light surface stuff as of right now.

Fortunately, all my issues are on the bottom of the airplane, so a perfect color match isn't a requirement, so long as its "decent" enough to get by until the full repaint.

Latest posts

Back