• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Fiberglass Damage Around Fuel Strainer Drain - Dakota

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there!

My plane is a Piper Dakota and as you can see from the attached photos, the fiberglass is in pretty rough shape around the fuel strainer drain.

Is fiberglass repair an A&P function?

I would imagine the FAA would not suggest that a surfboard repair guy should be shaping the air flow surface of my certified airplane. That said, this small fix won't make a difference.

That's the first part of my question.

The second part is - has anyone seen or done anything interesting regarding incorporating some kind of grommet when making this fix to make that spot more durable?

I've flown this plane about 200 hours since I bought it and this is how it looked at the time. I would like to think I would have been more careful, but it's probably inevitable for it to get banged up there over time....

Thank you!
Best,
Ken

Attachments

• 20240502_134043.jpg
    20240502_134043.jpg
    742 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240502_134053.jpg
    20240502_134053.jpg
    866.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back