• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Quick Drain Oil Sump Plug

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HELP!!! I have a 1981 Piper Turbo Arrow IV with the TSIO 360 FB series engine. I am in need of help to either repair or replace my Oil Sump Quick Drain Plug. As you can see from the photos there is little room for anything between the oil sump plug and the bell crank plate for the nose gear steering. Here's the problem... It leaks... a lot! I have looked through the engine logs and the mechanic who installed the quick drain failed to put a part number in his documentation... back in 2000. I have looked online for this particular drain plug and have not been able to identify it. I'm hoping that one of you more seasoned pilots and mechanics can identify it and help me find a part number and even a supplier. I am happy to replace it with something similar but most everything I see out there is too long to fit in the space. I need a low-profile quick drain to replace it. I have a 90 deg adapter to drain the oil. Specifically, I need a 5/8"-18 thread low-profile quick drain. To answer an obvious question of why not use the original plug and not a quick drain?... because, to drain the oil that way creates a huge mess, and the lower cowling must come off to do so. The quick drain allows me to eliminate the mess and not have to take the lower cowling off. Any help would be much appreciated. If anyone knows if the plug is fixable with an O-ring or something that information would be helpful as well. Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• IMG_6748[23904].jpg
    IMG_6748[23904].jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2282.jpg
    IMG_2282.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2283.jpg
    IMG_2283.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2284.jpg
    IMG_2284.jpg