• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Ever see a radio needing to "warm up" before it would transmit clearly?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

semerson

Reaction score
I have a 64 Cherokee 235 with a Bendix King KY 97A installed in COM 1. The last two flights that I have done, it appears that my radio needs a "warm up" period to start transmitting clearly.

While on the ground just after start up, I taxi away from hangars and, with clear line of sight to the tower, when I transmit, the signal is "staticky and barely understandable and scratchy". It was so bad this second flight, that I had to use my backup handheld Icom radio to transmit to get taxi clearance. About 15 minutes later after run up and waiting for landing traffic, I finally departed and once airborne, tested my transmit ability via COM1 and was suddenly crystal clear to the tower. I then checked again with another airport's tower and again crystal clear.

When I arrived back at my home field, I was still able to transmit normally and clearly even on the ground. It almost seems that my radio needs to "warm up" to be able to transmit clearly. Has anyone seen or head of this phenomena before or experienced something similar?

My setup is this: BK 97a radio in COM 1, my "audio panel" is nothing more than 3 position rocker switches to select headphones/off/speaker for each source, and a sigtronics transcom intercom unit permanently attached to the panel. The intercom unit is not battery operated but connected to the power bus of the a/c. My COM2 is an MX11 and has recently crapped the bed and no longer turns on for reasons unknown. I have checked all fuses for both COM units and they are fine. I am at a loss as to what causes this. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back