• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PS 8000BT PIREP (Replaced Garmin 340)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N2897M

Reaction score
(I have no affiliation with PSE)

In a word...WOW! Not sure what took me so long to replace my aging and ailing Garmin 340 audio panel, but I regret not doing it sooner.

I have never owned a PSE audio panel (though I have used many legacy panels), but when my Garmin 340 started misbehaving (typical Garmin inop buttons), I decided to expand my horizons and look beyond the big G. Hours of research on the internet led me to PS engineering. I have never come across such unanimous support for a piece of avionics. After carefully comparing features of the latest audio panel offerings, I decided on the 8000BT, a true slide in replacement for the G340 (tools required: a hex wrench and a pen).

The clarity is simply amazing, and quite noticeable over my retired G340. No background noise and crystal clear, rich sound. You must hear it in person to truly appreciate the quality.

Among my favorite features....gone is the hassle of squelch controls, replaced with PSE's proprietary intelligent system that can discern human voice from all other noise. My pre-purchase skepticism is gone. The system works brilliantly.

One new feature over the G340 is the "Monitor Mode" (a dedicated button!) that allows you to monitor COM 2 (ie, to obtain weather) while using COM 1. Unlike in days past, I don't need to be triggered to silence the COM 2 when ATC is transmitting on COM 1, hoping to catch my tail number if I was the intended recipient. In monitor mode, COM 2 is automatically muted when COM 1 becomes active!

The Bluetooth connectivity makes for easy connection of my cell phone and clear communications. I operate from a non towered airport, so picking up an IFR clearance on the ground is no longer a comical exercise battling the headset, phone and propeller noise ("Can you hear me now?").

If I have one complaint, it is the seemingly endless configuration options. In fairness, this is a shortcoming of the operator and not the equipment. In trying to make the PSE customizable, the designers incorporated so many options that even after two reads of the manual I still can't get my head around all the intercom variations. Plan on some time on the ground with the user's guide to become fully acquainted with the system.

I never imagined such a utilitarian upgrade as an audio panel could make such a difference, but it did. Couldn't be happier with my decision.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back