• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Radio connection question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A little background:

When I bought my airplane, COM #1 was a Narco MK12d+ TSO. Worked fine. After many months, it started to have some intermittent transmit problems, carrier only, but would receive fine. It worked sometimes and not others and eventually just stopped working (meaning it would receive, but would transmit carrier only).

I bought another radio, used of course, stuck it in and it worked great! I got about 30-45 days out of it before it burned up. Nasty smell, no receive, no transmit, but screen lit up.

So, at this point I've got two radios that seem to have gone from working to not, in that slot, inside of a relatively short period.

I sent the second radio off for repair and it came back yesterday repaired. Bunch of capacitors blown, holes in the board, etc. All fixed now and an 8130 and yellow tag. But, I'm afraid to put it in!

Right now, I'm running COM 2 for most of my needs and the Narco that will receive only as my "ATIS getter". Works OK.

I'm afraid to put the freshly repaired unit in only to have it burn up again. For those with experience in these matters, does it make sense that the mounting tray and/or wiring in the airplane is leading to these two broken radios? If it was one, I wouldn't think anything of it. But, it's two radios in as many months it seems.

What due diligence can I do to the wiring and mounting tray before sliding in the repaired radio on which I just spent over $600?

Latest posts

Back