• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Engine Instantly Floods after GAMI installation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ready1998

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm having a bit of a frustrating issue here with flooding and am hoping to find some help. I recently had GAMI injectors installed into my 1972 Arrow II which has the IO-360-C1C engine. At the same time, I had an Electronics International CGR-30P Engine Analyzer installed, but I doubt (hope) this has any effect on start performance (we've also had issues with this unit, but will include those details later below).

Well since the install, I've been having chronic flooding problems on cold starts. Prior to it, I would prime the engine with 5-6 seconds of boost pump, and it'd start in 2-3 blades. Now, even with little to no prime, the engine will turn, catch for a brief second, then die out. After this first attempt, any future attempts will put a significant amount of fuel onto the ramp out of the intake manifold. Continuous efforts to start the engine, even following the POH with wide open throttle and cut-off mixture, result in nothing - not even the slightest inclination of starting. Basically, the engine's completely flooded.

Now it's not that I'm jamming the mixture full forward to cause the amount of fuel pouring out - I've let the aircraft sit and full drain for several hours between attempts. And even after attempts where no prime is initially used at all do I get fuel pouring out of the intake.

My mechanic has spoken with GAMI and they believe the issue is with the flow divider. But my mechanic has taken it apart and found no debris or issue to indicate how or why the cylinders are getting so flooded.

Have any of your experience this and can give some inclination on where to look? I'm thinking we should just put the old injectors back in (we still have them), but my mechanic is reluctant as this issue shouldn't have its root in the injectors considering how much flooding (and how it's basically instant) we're talking about.

Now on the side regarding the EI CGR-30P, we've been having an issue where my mechanic accidentally forgot to install isolators (resistors) between the ignition key-switch and the unit's ECU - this caused the unit to be damaged and stop displaying Tach info. The board had to be sent back, and is now always claiming the right mag has failed which it clearly has not as run-ups show the engine is still operating on the right mag, but the unit displays 0 (zero) RPM. Don't know and I doubt these two issues are related, but I wanted to be thorough in my description!

Thanks as always for any help - Bill

Latest posts

Back