• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Emergency gear extension destroying my nose gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Second time the emergency gear extension has broken something on me...

Last year, an uncommanded gear extension cost me the drag link on my nose gear. Just a few weeks ago, another uncommanded extension broke the nose gear cylinder mount.

When the emergency system is activated, the gear literally slams out with a loud thud. Very violent. My mechanic thinks this isn't normal. Wondering if the system requires a snubber or something to limit the violent extension.

Does anyone have any insight or experience with this? Yes, I know the system can be disabled. I'd rather just keep it activated, as long as it will stop breaking my plane!

Thanks for any advice or assistance!

Pete

Latest posts

Back