• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Newest fun issue, now gear extension issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klr94ss

Advanced Aviation Reno
Reaction score
So, after the fuel issue appears to have just been some water or junk that passed and the airplane flew perfectly for 3.5 hours yesterday a new problem has arisen to keep me busy :)
But, for gear issues this one seems to be one of the more straightforward ones.

Gear retracts normally with no issues. New partner on the plane let me know that while he was working with a CFI that the gear selector switch was intermittent on selecting Gear Down (extended). CFI said it was just he wasn't operating the switch properly, but on the flight with him yesterday I found the same thing. We got to our destination and the gear down switch did not activate the system initially. I reached over and put the selector back in the up position and then back down, the system activated and dropped the gear properly.

We departed from our destination and the gear retracted normally with no issues, upon reaching Reno once again, gear selector to down did not activate the system. I tried cycling the switch a few more times to no avail. Went to the emergency extension and the gear dropped perfectly with an immediate 3 greens and landed. Hoping to get it up on Jacks in the next couple days. Looking at the service manual it looks to either be the Selector switch not making contact internally (I will meter it out and try cleaning) or the Solenoid for the Down position that activates the pump.

Before I start tearing into her, anyone else had a similar issue and what did you find? Always appreciate the help from the group on stuff like this. Yes, it is in the service manual and electrical troubleshooting is my strong suite, but having a head start of where to look is always beneficial and appreciated.

Latest posts

Back