• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Electric Fuel Pump

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnF

Reaction score
During pre-flight on our 1967 PA-28-180, the electric fuel pump "clicking" has always slowed noticeably as the pressure increased to about 5psi. Lately it only builds to about 3psi and the clicking doesn't slow down appreciably. There is no obvious evidence of leaks and the analyzer fuel flow stays at zero. Switching tanks has no effect. After the engine starts and the mechanical pump takes over the pressure builds to 5psi as before and it runs fine. My A&P says that as long as it's clicking, it's pumping, but something has changed.

It seems that the place to focus is the electric pump itself, but I don't want to repair or replace it and miss something else. I'm just looking for the usual suspects that could cause this. And if it is the pump, should I go rebuild or new?

Any hints are appreciated!
Thanks,
John

Latest posts

Back