• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

EDM 900 - ammeter versus loadmeter - programming?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My EDM 900 is connected according to the “ammeter” schematics on the installation manual, but I *think* it may be functioning as a loadmeter for the following reasons. Master BAT shows 5 AMPS...turn engine on and MASTER ALT on causes amps to go up. Turning on lights and pitot heat causes greater values like 17 amps as I recall from yesterday. Changing the wires around only changes the sign (positive or negative). I have triple checked with my mechanic that I have the master solenoid and master battery on the same side of the shunt, while the bus is on the opposite side by itself.

So, I ran into a line on page 22 in the pilot’s manual (not on the installation manual) that says that the EDM will function as a load meter or ammeter depending on programming. This is not mentioned in the installation manual. Also, the exact area where the EDM would be programmed to function as either ammeter or loadmeter is not clear even when looking at the list of menus in the “factory” mode. *Is the EDM programmed prior to delivery to function as either a loadmeter or ammeter? Or is the behavior of the AMPS section on the screen governed by where the shunt is hooked up in the circuit?

Thanks in advance. I would call JPI, but they’re closed until further notice due to Covid-19.

Latest posts

Back