• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Erratic readings on ammeter: Bad shunt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gash

1982 PA-32R-301 Saratoga
Reaction score
I am getting very erratic ammeter fluctuations on my JPI EDM-930 in the Saratoga. Amps are rapidly changing between 20 and over 70 amps (no change in actual electrical load...it's just an erratic indication). Any ideas what could cause this? Today I checked the connections at the battery terminals and both sides of the ammeter shunt. Everything is tight. Could it be a bad shunt? Do shunts wear out or fail?

By the way, another bad thing happens on the EDM-930 when the amps fluctuate wildly. The EGT and CHT indications fail one-by-one from left to right. If the amp reading settles down, then the EGT and CHT indications slowly come back to normal. Annoying.

Latest posts

Back