• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Dual G5 - One certified, one non...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I first saw this over on Cherokee Chat, and it piqued my interest.

A few people have installed dual G5’s in their certified craft - one was the certified “kit” (usually, the DG/HSI), and one was not.

The rationale for this being legal (and for their IA signing off on the install) was as follows:
-All G5 units themselves have the same P/N (and apparently, FAA-PMA tag)
-The Garmin permission letter and STC allows you to install 1 or 2 G5s on your airframe (making 2 permission letters redundant)
-The install manual for both varieties of install calls out the P/N for the non-certified unit
-The software loads for certified vs non-certified are different, but are apparently easily configured

For those who’ve actually done these installs, I’d love to hear your informed comments. I’m not looking for speculation from 50 feet away and “certified is certified”. It’s apparent that the hardware is all the same - I’m hoping for analysis from those who’ve actually examined and used the paperwork.

Why would one do this? It saves about a grand over buying 2 STCs, when one appears to cover single or dual installation.

This has been discussed on both Cherokee a Chat and BeechTalk, but the conversation veered heavily on the latter.

Latest posts

Back