• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Dead plug/wire vs Mag on checkride...help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Preface- PA32-300, EDM 830. 500h SMOH, mags 20h overdue for optional IRAN.
Impulse mag AD due in 20hrs
All plugs replaced with tempest fine-wire about 30h ago

IFR Checkride last Friday-
Flight friday am went fine, good start, no issues. Normal runup and temps for 1hr flight
Friday afternoon (after oral complete)- runup for flight portion. Complete drop out on #3 cylinder during left mag check. Normal ops on right mag and other cylinders look good temp wise. On both saw higher EGT on #3 consistent with this as well (normal CHT)
Did 3min lean ground run to try to burn it off- no change.
Abort checkride flight.

Dilemma- mechanic tells me quick look at plug and plug wire connection good. Thinks it may be harness vs Mag.

Had planned on doing Impulse coupler AD and Mag replacement or overhaul after I finished my checkride and after a planned trip in 2 weeks. Question now is whether to 1) go ahead and replace Mags and harness now 2)replace harness only to get flying and hold Mag check and impulse AD for later 3) consider Surefly (not sure how long the lead time is)

Could a bad mag point cause a single plug to fail to fire without other symptoms? Harness is probably 15y old as that was when the engine was overhauled by Zephyr.

Latest posts

Back