• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Cylinder Pitting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Kuntz

Reaction score
My ‘76 Archer II just went into annual today and got the dreaded call from the mechanic. One of the cylinders has a compression of 20/80. Others are in the 70’s. He assuming a stuck valve and recommended a replacement on that cylinder. He also bores coped all the cylinders and said there was quite a bit of pitting on all cylinders and recommended a top overhaul.

Engine has about 630 hrs smoh about 20 years ago. I told him pull that cylinder and check the condition of the cam and we would go from there.

Assuming the cam is good, what is the risk of running cylinders that are pitted? Compressions are good and I typically use a quart about every 15 hours. I’ve only had the plane about a year and a half and had the oil samples at the last two oil changes. Numbers were slightly high but dropping.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Nick

Latest posts

Back