• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Covers vs sun shades vs window tint

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got an 1971 Arrow, and it's been hot lately, both in flight and on the ramp. Like many of us, I can't find a hangar anywhere near my home airport, so I'm parking on the ramp full time. I'm about to put in a new GPS and I've heard heat kills electronics. My other issue is that the sun is cooking my wife and I in flight. I climb to 6500+ so the air coming in is nice and cool, but I can feel the sun cancer forming as I fly, and it's still fairly uncomfortable even with cool air blowing in.

I'm considering putting in some form of window tint, which may kill two birds with one stone. I'm looking at Just Plane Shades (Just Plane Shades for Piper PA-28 Arrow | Aircraft Spruce), which seems just fine, but there's not a lot of reviews and nothing on Youtube to show what it's actually like. I'm a little worried about reducing visibility too much. I'm also considering Jet Shades (https://jet-shades.com/shop/propeller/piper-pa-28-custom-sun-solutions/), which is considerably more expensive and require custom installation.

I think I've ruled out regular sun shades like you see in car windows, but I've honestly never used them, so I'm open to opinions.

First question, does anyone have any experience with either of these? Are they worth the money?

Second question is for ground only. Do I still need a cover? I'm probably going to go with a Mac cover over Bruce, just because of cost. Covers seem like a pain to put on, so I'm wondering if I can get away without one.

Any other suggestions for either issue?

Latest posts

Back