• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Clocking a 3 Blade McCauley

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After consulting my AP/AI, we’ve decided to overhaul my prop and governor during my annual. It’s a McCauley 3 blade on my IO-360-C1C Arrow II.

History: Prop was new in 1990, checked and reshaped/ resaealed in 1998, then overhauled in 2008. McCauley recommends overhaul every 6 years or 2000 hours, whichever comes first. Past maintenance shows a trend of between 8-10 years. The prop has around 4000 total hours, this one doesn’t have any time limits, and approaching 11 years since overhaul. I feel it’s time.

Spoke to the shop and things look real good inside, no issues, just need to clean up the hub bores, so a small charge for that, bearings and races look good as do the blades! Great news, no surprises.

Our marks have been removed from the hub and the spinner support/ flywheel from the removal, so we are starting from scratch. Obviously, we will install the flywheel at TDC so the timing marks (stamped on the flywheel) line up, AND I will have the prop dynamic balanced right after the install.

Read the McCauley installation manual and even called them. The told me to reference the STC, the shop that is doing the overhaul owns the STC, their advice was to follow the McCauley installation manual as referenced in the STC.There is no reference to any clocking for this model. It is a 400 series 3 blade. I’m dizzy from going around in circles and I want it on correctly the first time. My AP/AI said 10 and 2 at TDC.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Dave

Latest posts

Back