• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

CHT on my PA28-140

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigershark

Reaction score
Recently watched a EAA Webinar re: cylinder compression/health by Superior Air Parts. During the talk the subject of CHT came up. Long story short excessive CHT 450-500 degrees for long periods is not good for your engine but also low engine head temps can be a bad thing. I don't have a EGT just a CHT gauge and each of the four cylinders typically run 290 to 300 degrees in the winter time at 2400 rpm. Flew the airplane yesterday with ambient temps running around 30 degrees on the ground and the hottest cylinder was around 300 degrees. Regardless of altitude I always lean the engine to where it runs rough then rich-in the mixture to where it runs smooth. It is my understanding that this is supposed to approximate lean of peak. Mixture does not seem to have much effect on the CHT. Would like opinions on what other cylinders are running. It's a O-320-E3D upgraded to 160hp in a 1971 Cherokee.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
Greg

Latest posts

Back