• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

1971 Cherokee 140 CHT and Oil Temps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigershark

Reaction score
My '71 was recently overhauled and upgraded to 160hp. Even before the overhaul the CHT's ran between 275 and 310 degrees at cruise (higher in the climb of course) while the oil temps almost never exceeded 140 degrees. I've been told that that is too cool and I run the risk of not burning off contaminants in the oil and getting corrosion in the engine. I always have the oil cooler covered when the ambient temps are 50 degrees or below. It's been suggested that I modify the baffling to allow more air to escape out the back instead of down through the cylinders. I called and spoke with a Lycoming rep... he did not have a real issue withe the CHT but said that the oil temp needs to come up to 180 degrees.

Looking for advice here on how to remedy the situation. Also, 140 owners chime in on your CHT/Oil Temps

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Latest posts

Back