• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Cherokee vs Archer II Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottS

Reaction score
PA28 experts,

ScottB and I are looking at a bone stock 77 Archer II to upgrade from our Cherokee 140 (160 hp) for more space. We are expecting that it will cruise better, but probably a bit of a loss on take off distance and climb given the better "pounds per horsepower" of the modified 140, but we are willing to make that sacrifice, and perhaps add some mods like gap seals to help catch it up.

Question 1:
We went to look at it today (but did not fly), and one the biggest differences we noticed was a super heavy control feel compared to the 140. Unfortunately in our area, Cherokees are a dime a dozen but haven't seen many Archer's or Warriors. Realizing that the stab is much wider, and the control wheel shaft is much larger in diameter than the ol' '64 Cherokee, is the difference in control feel really that much or should we be looking for something wrong with this particular airframe. Perhaps the shaft needs some cleaning/lube? Controls move freely through the full range.

The annual inspections have been done by a couple different firms, both of which are respectable (non-pencil whippy). I would hope they would flag any concerns unless it changed int he last few months.

Question 2:
I have no experience with the fibreglass upper cowls vs the old aluminum ones. This one appears to have deformed slightly to where it is bowed out on the rear outside edge about 1/2". Has anyone had any luck reshaping the glass cowl, or are is one just going to have to replace in order to fix right. It is just cosmetic, but probably will drive me nuts looking at it.

That's all for now! Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back